After seven months of navigating life under COVID-19, we are all trying to find ways to stay connected, while also staying safe. People in the queer community are disproportionately at risk for COVID-19, largely due to existing inequalities, and some members even more so due to health, age or other factors. At the same time, while physically distancing, we are coming together socially, as safely as possible by taking precautions in person, and providing more online services. One silver lining of these changes is that they will result in more access to those who have a difficult time meeting in person: Those who are recently out and aren’t ready to come in person; those in rural areas, with transport issues, disabilities, difficult schedules and more.
Here are a few updates about what is open and where we have been able to expand online to keep supporting each other through struggles, self-care, celebrations and all the challenges and changes of 2020:
Center services and programs
● The Center is open! The Center, including lobby, computers, library and reference desk are open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
● The Black LGBTQ Group, for anyone who identifies under African Diaspora, meets Mondays at 6 p.m.
● Bi/Pandemonium is meeting on the third Monday of the month at 6 p.m. in person and on Zoom.
● LGBTQIA Warriors, a support group for all vets and service members, is meeting on the first Monday of the month at 6 p.m. on Zoom
● Aces, asexual support group, is on hold, but will be back online soon.
● Switch+ Closet is providing free clothing for the trans community and affordable thrift options for everyone. Hours are Thursday and Friday from 3-5 p.m. by rsvp.
● Affirmations counseling is available online.
● Jolt Café is open Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. HIV services
● The Wellness Clinic is open. The new Wellness Clinic hours are Monday through Thursdays from 1-5 p.m.
● Services and testing have been expanded to include not only HIV, but also syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia. Know your status!
● The Living Well and Med Time support groups are meeting again, Tuesdays at 6 p.m., in person and online.
● Youth programs are Tuesdays (4 p.m. for 13- through 17-year-olds, and 6 p.m. for 18- through 24-year-olds), both in person and on Discord.
● Staff is currently recording sex education courses to provide more access online.
● Youth programs are providing takeaway Thanksgiving dinners this year to support distancing.
● The Center is now offering the Petzing Perseverance Scholarship: Accepting applications through Nov.15 for Center patrons and volunteers who are studying to work in health care with the LGBTQIA+ community.
● New group! Latecomers is for those coming out later in life, age 40 and older, Tuesdays at 7 p.m. on Zoom
● ACT III for LGBTQIA+ Seniors is holding off on all in-person events for safety for now
● Delivering with Dignity serves people at risk for COVID-19, who do not have money or support systems to be able to get food. We are serving our seniors, but they also need delivery volunteers. Assistance with fuel costs is available if you drive at least three times a week.
Crisis Advocacy Network
● Center volunteers, including our crisis advocates are not serving back at The Center yet, but we are still serving people who have been victims of violence in person and through the Center’s new Crisis Hotline: 702-745- 4600, 833-740-0500.
● The next advocate training is planned for January online. The Center is celebrating a new program manager of Advocacy and Client Services! Congratulations to Vanessa Gotti and thank you for all your hard work!
Transgender and Gender Diversity Programs
● Trans programs are in person and online:
● Translations (Fridays at 6 p.m., also on Zoom)
● Intersex Connect (The fourth Thursday of the month at 6 p.m., also on Zoom)
● GuyTalk for transmen (first and third Thursday of the month at 6 p.m., also on Zoom)
● TFemme for transwomen (First and third Thursdays of the month at 6 p.m., also on Discord)
● Out of the (gender) Box for nonbinary, genderqueer, agender people (Second Thursdays at 6 p.m., also on Discord)
● The Queer Economics, Jobs and Housing Clinic (Fridays on Zoom,
Discord and more)
● Name/Gender Marker change assistance available by email and at NLS
● New resources are for affordable, inclusive housing.
● Large events like Trans Pride and Trans Day of Remembrance will be
● The Center’s First Intersex Awareness Day in person and on Zoom Oct 26 at 6 p.m.
Community Partners and Groups
● The L Group for all lesbians is meeting online.
● SNAPIQS, Southern Nevada Asian Pacific Islander Queer Society, is back in person!
● UTOPIA United Territories of Pacific Islanders Alliance is returning
● Fabulous Life Skills by Jazmena Jameson is Thursdays from 4-6 p.m. in person.
● Gay Men’s Forum for all gay men is Wednesdays at 6 p.m. in person only.
● The Polyamory Discussion Group is back in person on the second Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m., available by Zoom.
● PFLAG is meeting the second Saturday of the month at 10 and 11 a.m. on Zoom.